Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Confessions of a Closet Nerd

For those of you who are closest to me know I am an obsessed Star Wars nerd, I won't spend time on the why's, as it is a long rant mingled with philosophy and scripture. As a result, I'm a big fan of all things nerd, I've seen every episode of Star Trek the next generation, I own all of the matrix movies including the AniMatrix (I figured it out the matrix while watching it) and much much more, so naturally I play a lot of video games. ESPECIALLY Star Wars video games.

Up until about 5 years ago, I stuck to a steady regimen of Madden, Halo, and Star Wars Battle Front. While playing battle front I noticed an add for another Star Wars game named, "Knights of the Old Republic. It wasn't a typical game I had played before, it was a "role playing game" or in gamer speak, and RPG. The style was quite different, I wasn't just running around blowing stuff up and shooting storm troopers, the games starts the player as a Jedi padawan and through the events of the game you gain experience and gear to level your character into a full on Jedi master. Yes you even have your own R2 unit and a space ship to call your own.

The game developer released a sequel, to Knights of the Old Republic, and it was just as awesome, needless to say I fell in love with the franchise. About 3 years ago it was announced that there would be a new Old Republic game released! But to my dismay I found out it was going to be in the same style as another very popular game, that to many at the time seemed, UBER nerd, it was going to be a "Massive Multi-Player Online Role Playing Game". Basically, just like World of Warcraft! I WAS LIVID! I wasn't going to play that! MMORPG's are for virgin's living in their mothers basement. I never saw myself playing it, I was bummed, there was going to be a new KOTR and I wasn't going to play it. Because, I am not ONE of THOSE nerds...right? Or am I.....

Fast forward a year, I find myself on the internet checking out the KOTR website, looking at what content had been published so far, I was drooling. I knew I was going to want to play this game, no matter how nerdy it was, it was Star Wars and that is all that mattered. But I had no clue how to actually go about playing an MMO, so after reading other readers comments I saw some readers had started their own guilds, and were starting to recruit! So I decided I better learn, but how? Play WOW? Nah, I couldn't that would make me a loser...but my desire to learn an MMO was greater than my fear of becoming a nerd. So I found an free trial for WOW and started a Human Paladin (that was the closed thing to a Jedi, as far as I could tell). And here I am a year later with 2 level 85 characters or "toons" and a hand full of characters between lvl 30 and 50.

So there it is, I PLAY WORLD OR WARCRAFT, and guess what, it's awesome! I love it, its more fun than any game I've ever played. The player versus player, and co-op play is the best. It's like playing on a football team, every player has a job to do, and if one guy can't do his part, the group fails. So there it is, laugh if you want, shake your head if you desire.

So why am I telling you this, well, when I have fun with something, I like to do it with my friends, with Star Wars the Old Republic releasing in December, I wanted to start playing with people that I like and know. So here is a call to all you other nerds out there, closet or otherwise, come play SWTOR with me, I even started my a guild NinjaJedi's, because there is nothing more bad ass than a ninja, except a Jedi. I have it listed as Player vs Player guild but I'll be doing all the PVE (player versus environment) content as well.

If you want to get started learning the ways of the MMO, start a toon on the Uldum server on WOW and let me know, here are the links to my two 85's a Paladin and a Death Knight, I'm currently leveling a hunter and a druid as well.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/uldum/Jaykahn/simple

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/uldum/Arhnold/simple

If you want to start let me know we get bonuses if I "recruit a friend"

if your not sure if you wanna try it, there is 10 day free trial,

On 12/20/2011, I'll be starting a Jedi gaurdian and a Smuggler, check out all the info at www.swtor.com

There I got it off my chest...now you know

No comments: