Friday, February 10, 2012

I met a guy who knew a guy named Mitt once


Working as a carpet cleaner in Salt Lake in 2005, I was sent to a job in Park City, my boss handed the order to me directly and said "this is a big one, make sure you do a great job!". The order only contained a name whom I didn't recognize at the time and an address that put the house in one of the most expensive areas of PC. These jobs usually came with potential but sometimes had baggage to. Working in the homes of the wealthy was common for me, these jobs usually had large commissions, but the price of these opportunities were dealing with snotty folks who were at times, extremely difficult to satisfy. My assumption in my boss emphasizing the importance of the job was the opportunity to add additional services as the order was very basic, clean 3 bedrooms and a hall way.

Upon arriving at the job I could see why my boss was so anxious, I wasn't cleaning a house, I was cleaning a mansion! IT WAS GINORMOUS, if I remember correctly the home had 7 bedrooms, each which had its own private bath. Gigantic living rooms, complete with wool rugs and a TV that came out of the mantle, I'd only seen anything like it on MTV cribs. We were met outside by a man who looked to be in his 50's introduced himself as the properties caretaker. To be honest, I hated dealing with hired help, they usually were very tepid about adding additional services. As he let us in and showed us the areas that they wanted done it turned out they wanted the entire upper lever of the home done, which included all 7 bedrooms! I was ecstatic, it would be a large jump in commission for us. He then left us to our work and we went about cleaning this monstrosity. After about 6 hours of labor, we were finished and met with the caretaker to settle the bill.

While going over the service and totaling the bill for him I became fairly nervous, I knew the bill would end up in 1000's. I had had an experience before where a nanny had us to add a bunch of services and the owners got upset and refused to pay. As I showed him the final total ready to provide a breakdown of the charges, and preparing for a possible reaction, the man didn't blink and pulled a very large roll of 100's from his pocket, I had only ever seen that much cash on one person except for in a movies. He counted out the cash, and then handed me and my partner an extra 100 each saying "Mitt wouldn't be happy with me if I didn't tip you guys". Shocked, and after many thank you's,  I asked him, "so who is this Mitt Romney guy anyways? His name sounds familiar." The man looked at me like I was nuts, and said, "You don't know who Mitt Romney is? He was the one who saved the Olympics when it was here." He proceeded to tell us all about Mitt, he couldn't stop glowing about how much he loved (yes he said LOVE) the Romney family. From what I can remember about the conversation he had been a family friend of the Romney's since he was a boy. And his only job, "they pay me fifty grand a year to watch this house and take care of it when they aren't around. They bought me a little house in town (Park City) where I live. I only have to come up here a couple of times a week. when they aren't here." I asked him where Mitt was at now, and he said, well son, he's the Governor of Massachusetts and he's going to be President someday!

I was impressed to say the least, I had seen a lot of beautiful homes of the wealthy, but I had yet to meet paid help that considered himself family. He considered himself family because he was obviously treated as such. There was no one there but us, he would have been free to say what ever he wanted about Mitt. I didn't pry much about Mitt and his family, the man was so honored and proud to be a part of their family that he willingly gushed about his employer.

That's the day I decided to vote for Romney. Romney won't make a great President because of what he knows. He'll be a great President because of whats in his heart, he IS truly a good man.

If you have a personal story about Mitt, let me know and I'll gladly post it.







No comments: